Friday, January 24, 2014

Letters from Ella Simpson to Jane Prestwich

I recently acquired photos and letters  that belonged to my grandmother (Emma LaRue Simpson Couron).  When she died about 13 years ago, my Aunt Jackie had taken all her important photos and documents.  My aunt died a couple of years ago and I finally had the opportunity to visit her husband and get ahold of all these precious things.

Letters from Sarah "Ella" Flanders Simpson to her Jane Prestwich Simpson (This is her mother-in-law who was almost 90 at the time this was written)

Dec 16, 1965
Dear Mother, you will never know how happy your sweet little letter and card made me feel. I love you so much and do wish you were here with me.
There is a little 3 room house and love it so much humble and old fashioned as it is it's home and hope I have moved my last time until I get a perminent resting place.
We  had a lovely(?) fall after it froze everything.  But was glad for the ?? wish I could come to your birthday but poor people only have wishes and they it can't be different. I talked to Frank the other nite. I was so sorrie about Sidney. I hpe he gets better or it isent to searious.Venice got moved in her new home at last that apt was killing her. Aunda and ?? was ?? operated on 2 weeks apart are doing fine. I will Miss Ralph but he has suffered so long it's almost a relief. Lena sure takes it so hard. Lewis had got heart trouble now but we are all so blessed in this world of hate and war. When we yearn for peace, the temple ground is a dream and so sacred what could be so lovely as a real sacred xmas.
Give Fran and Paul my love and a ton for your seet!
Ella

Birthday card for Jane from Ella
Mother my only regrets are that I can't give you anything but love and best wishes of you have always had those. But will tell you anyway I love you!
Your daughter Ella

1966
Dear Mother and Francis,
I am sorrie your cards went astray you see mother I get adress mixed up too. I have waited so long to write the Holidays are such a busy time for my work.
I am so warm and comfortable in a little house now and it seems so nice and peaceful. The Lord is so good to me by ans my prayers adn gibing me my needs adn wants.
Aunda and family finley found it nive to be griendly than angry so that added to my holladay. Was so glad to get your sweet card with picture, diddn't think I rated that nks for it I put it in the center of my framed cards also Sidney's grandchildren and dear dear sweet Dorthey ann who never gorgets me. I was so happy to get them tell I ran she has something to be proud of. Rickey was ordained a priest and will baptize Jacklin ams sure proud of all of them they are doing me proud. How has the winter been to you? I love the snow and its so nice in this dream house.
I will be a great grandmother in may. Aunda Ellen will have one.
I think Bonnie is too but_______________
Tell paul hello for me and kiss those dear boys a dozen times adn thank Dorothy Ann and Fran for her card I didn't send any this year except hand picked ones. Take care I love you and hope to see you soon.  Love always,
your loving daughter Ella

May 6 1966
Mother's Day card
With it was more but I love you very dearly and can't wait to see you. I am a great Grandmother. I sent that well, well I send you a bushel of sincer love anyway, Ella

(Card to LaRue Simpson Couron from her Grandma Simpson (Jane Prestwich Simpson year ?? before 1957)
Wish you lots of happiness for xmas and the coming new year. Kiss Bonnie and Ricky for me.  With lots of love for all.  Grandma Simpson





Tacoma Washington
Feb 23, 1967
Dear Ella,
Got your pretty card and your nice letter, have been trying to get all those cards ans. Sure takes me a long time. Yes we had a real nice xmas. Gary sent us a coo coo clock from Germany. Sure is a pretty thing and does it ever look pretty on my wall. Well since xmas we have got a wall to wall rug. Had our Furniture reupholstered and clored TV, new drapes and curtains and the celing is textured and they sprinkled it with silver glitter sure shines up pretty. Now Barney has to build new cabnets for the kitchen move one wall out in the kitchen farther and put in my washer and drier with we have had sitting in Garys bedroom for a long time. Then new floors and he is going to get a hot water tank just for us. But rite now we have problems. Got the electric bill the other day and it was so high. we have got to wait a while before we get teh skitchen started. so we can pay the electric bill. Those darn guys, Electic and plumbers man cost so much. Barney put in our bathroom and nearly all teh electrical work. All they did was put in a switch box ourside and one in the basement. and a little wireing cost so very much. $256.50 for labor $254.51 for misc and wiring. $21.46 tax so teh bill was $532.47 and if we pay it before 30 days they will take off #106.49 so we are really trying to get it scraped together so we can save $100 so some body is going to have to wait fora payment. Gary won't be home for 2 years sure is a long time. Barney will be retired buy then. But I'd sunner have him in Germany that Viet'nam. I sure hope he can stay rite there the rest of his time. Well cornice?? will be back from Honduras this august and I'll sure be glad to see her. It's been 2 years since we say her. The little devils go so far away.  Dee and family are getting along pretty good. She is workibng all the time. Carol and Family was up here for a week. Sure had a good visit with her.
Well I guess I've said enough. Mabey I just might get this out before the mail man comes.
Love Galore,
Flo and Barney

No comments: